I hate the sun. There I said it. I've never been a sun-lover, and much prefer to cosy up by a fire with a hot chocolate in the winter.
However, I have two children who do like the sun, or more accurately, they love being outside and don't seem to notice the sun or the heat, even Dollop in her plaster cast is quite happy to sit outside with a pot of bubbles and hasn't suffered (yet) with itchy leg syndrome.
Of course with summer holidays imminent we're probably going to be spending quite a lot of time outside, and instead of thinking about all the things we're not going to be able to do with Dollop in plaster, I thought I'd have a think about all the things I love about holidays and sunny weather (despite the heat).
1. Spending time with the children. Yes it gets a bit mad, sometimes they infuriate me with their whines of boredom, but it's really nice to get some proper time to play and craft together.
Remind me of this in a month when I'll be desperate for school to re-start!
2. Eating salad. I know?! I never thought I'd be one to say that, but after eating stodgy comforting stuff in the colder months, I really enjoy being able to have a salad, in the garden, with a glass of something cold.
3. Holiday journals. As a kid I hated having to do these, but Mini's quite looking forward to recording what he's been up to. And I must admit, I'm looking forward to reading his perspective on our activities and our time together. And he hasn't realised that he's doing it to practise his handwriting over the Summer. #Win.
4. Wearing pretty sandals and cute shoes. I'm a girl...need I explain more?
5. The smell of BBQs. I love that deep smoky smell of a BBQ. The meat cooking...not so much, but the actual charcoally scent. I am keeping packs of hot dog rolls, sausages (and veggie sausages) in the freezer for spontaneous BBQs forced by the delicious smell of other peoples dinners. I've also stocked up on accompaniments too...no not ketchup, but bottles of Pimms, lemonade and gin.
6. Laundry drying outside and quickly. With all the wet sheets and pants I have to wash, it is SO nice to be able to hang them outside and have them dry within 15minutes. I tend to go a bit mad and wash *everything* in sight to make the most of being able to hang it all outside.
7. Paddling pools. Nothing better than seeing your children splashing around in the paddling pool. Mine usually take a little coercing before they'll dip a toe in the sparkly cold water, but before long they're giggling, shrieking, splashing and playing. We'll be getting a waterproof cover for Dollop's leg so she can join in for a bit too.
8. Better moods. All round too I find. Everyone seems a little bit brighter, and mostly more tolerant too. Although there is a fine line between warm sunny moods, and grumpiness due to over-heating.
9. Outside play from dawn to dusk. Our garden is separated from our house...we have a gated yard outside the backdoor, then our neighbours have access through our garden, then we have another gate to access our proper long long long grassy garden The only place I can see the whole garden is from our upstairs bedroom window. Because of these gates and obstacles, Mini's only ever been allowed to play in the garden when I've been there too, but this year, we've given him a bit more freedom and he's allowed to play out there by himself. He's loving it and will happily bounce away on the trampoline for ages or bashing his rebounding punch pirate, coming in every now and then to check we're here.
10. Family time. This year we'd intended to go camping, but now won't because of Dollop's leg. We're spending the saved money on a couple of big (for us) days out, and are looking forward to Legoland and another more local theme park aimed especially at children, which we hope Dollop will be able to enjoy from her wheelchair. We can't wait to see the children's faces!
So that's what our summer will mostly consist of. I'm dreading it and looking forward to it in equal measure. What are your plans for the summer? Are you going away or making the most of this lovely weather?