As you might have read recently, I'm trying to be more positive at the moment, and have got our Positivity Pot in place at home. As part of this, I've put together this 'manifesto', just some things for me to bear in mind, but not beat myself up on if I can't do them all the time. Please feel free to add more in your comments...
1. I will not judge, or allow myself to be judged on different parenting styles.
2. I will not bow to pressure to tell my child off, just because he is perceived to be naughty.
3. I will support other adopters when they need support.
4. I will believe what other adopters say - I know how unbelievable it sometimes sounds!
5. I can accept that I will make mistakes, but it's OK.
6. I will share my experiences, but not offer advice unless requested.
7. I will not ask about your child's background...you can tell me if you feel it's appropriate.
8. I will not tell you about my child's background, unless I feel it's appropriate.
9. I will remember to focus on the positives...they make me feel better than the negatives.
10. I will remember that random acts of kindness apply to myself as well as others.
11. I will not 'sweat the small stuff'.
12. I will give my children opportunities they can cope with, and not feel guilty for protecting them from situations I know they won't deal with.
13. I will enjoy being a parent.
14. When my children's behaviour is at its worse, I will pull them closer.
15. I will laugh, and have fun. And so will my children.